Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Opening Remarks

Whoo-hoo! First blog post! This is exciting!! I suppose we'll start things off casual, with a brief intro of myself.

My name is Kassia, a.k.a The Narcoleptic Housewife.  I live in a small town in Alberta, Canada, have 2 great girls and an awesome fiancee. And I have fish - I love them :-) I don't plan on this blogg being primarily about Narcolepsy, more or less its a documentation of me giving N the finger. I've decided to completely change my life, for the better, and try to find peace, or at least a common ground, with the disease and myself, I've really got nothing to lose, and everything to gain. So mostly you'll get to read about my (mis) adventures on adopting a healthy lifestyle, sustainable living (this has become a hobby, so to say), some recipes, some DIY projects, random thoughts, whatever else I feel like blogging about... Basically a bunch of stuff I'm trying, adopting, etc. I assume that many people in all walks of life will be able to relate at some point or another, or maybe they won't but will keep coming back for some good recipe's and DIY projects, who knows :-)

So this will likely be the only post you see regarding my "condition", I'll run through it quick ;-) I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy in 2009, after living in hell for 13 years (my symptoms started when I was around 11 or 12). I went 13 years being misdiagnosed with random things, and had to take unnecessary medications. Fast forward to 2013 - no available treatments for the Narcolepsy symptoms I deal with daily have worked. 4 years of popping more useless pills... The side effects were either too much to handle, or, the medications just didn't work. I was pretty much devastated when I learned that Narcolepsy was not curable, shortly after being diagnosed, and learning that there are currently no other forms of "medical" treatment available to help manage my symptoms (within the last year) was almost harder to deal with. Out of options, I've decided to try and take charge of my life, and live with this ridiculous disease as best as I can. I have goals, I have interests, I want to have hobbies. I can't think of any better way to "stay on track" than making everything public and having random strangers keep me in line with comments, lol. It's so easy to get into a rut and spend years stuck in it, I haven't let myself get to that place yet, and plan on making every attempt possible to avoid it.

I should also mention, it's been years since I've sat down to write more than a "To-Do" list, or a note reminding me that I need to do the stuff on the "To-Do" list & that it is on the fridge or the counter if I need to review it. I used to write a lot when I was younger, and attended writers conferences frequently, so I assume at some point I'll be back at it decently. It may take a few posts to get back into the swing of things so to say - excuse the poor sentence / paragraph structures for now :-)

Well I think I'm off to a good start so far! Drafting of official first post commences now and will be up soon!

Cheers!
The Narcoleptic Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment